Thursday, July 24, 2008

Past Progressive/ Continuous Tense.

Past progressive tense is used to indicate that an action was in progress when another action occurred in the past. Past progressive (was/were + V ing) refers to the action in progress, and simple past tense refers to the? interrupting? action.

While I was eating dinner, the telephone rang.
The telephone rang while I was eating dinner.
When the telephone rang, I was eating dinner.
I was eating dinner when the telephone rang.

Past continuous can also be used to indicate only one action which occurred in the past:

What was John doing yesterday?
He was working at the factory.

What were they doing yesterday afternoon?
They were playing soccer.

What were you doing last night?
I was learning how to dance with my friend at the next house.