Thursday, July 18, 2013

MUET Speaking: Initiating A Discussion



Initiating a Discussion

Take turns to initiate the discussion so that there are no long pauses or silence during the discussion.  The easiest way to initiate a discussion is to give your opinion and then ask the other candidates for their opinions.

Useful Expressions to Initiate a Discussion
Function
Expression
To start a discussion
·      I would like to start the discussion by saying that . . .
·      Can we start the discussion now?
·      I would like to express my view regarding this matter . . .
·      Today we are going to discuss . . .
·      We are here to discuss . . .
·      Let’s being our discussion by . . .
To ask for an opinion
·      What do you think about . . . ?
·      What is your opinion?
·      Any comments?
·      What is your view on . . .  ?
·      May I know your opinion regarding . . . ?
·      Do you agree . . . ?
·      Would you like to share your opinion/view with us?
To give an opinion/state point of view
·      I think . . .
·      I feel . . .
·      I must say . . .
·      As for as I am concerned . . .
·      I strongly believe . . .
·      Personally, I feel . . .
·      In my opinion . . .
·      My opinion is that . . .
·      I am of the opinion that . . .
·      I am sure that . . .
·      I am convinced that . . .
·      My point of view is . . .
·      From my point is view . . .
·      It seem to me that . . .
·      I would say that . . .
·      It’s quite clear that . . .
To express strong agreement
·      I strongly agree . . .
·      I agree completely . . .
·      I agree absolutely . . .
·       I am in complete agreement.
·      I couldn’t agree with you more.
·      That’s certainly sure.
·      Exactly! You have hit the nail on the head.
·      Yes.  I’m sure you are right.
·      Absolutely!
To express agreement
·      I agree.
·      That’s right.
·      You’re right.
·      That’s true.
·      I think you are right.
·      I am glad you mentioned that.
·      I agree with you.
·      I share the same view.
·      I am of the same opinion.
·      I suppose that’s true.
·      You could be right
To express partial agreement
·      You could be right but . . .
·      That’s true but . . .
·      I see your point but . . .
·      I do not entirely agree with you . . .
·      You have a point but . . .
·      I agree up to a point but . . .
·      Your suggestion is good but it may not be practical . . .
·      That may be so but . . .
To express strong disagreement
·      I disagree completely.
·      That can’t be true that all.
·      That’s absolutely not true.
·      That’s totally out of the question.
·      No.  I don’t like this suggestion.
To express disagreement
·      I disagree.
·      I don’t think so.
·      I don’t think that way.
·      On the contrary . . .
·      I wouldn’t say that.
·      I think you are mistaken.
·      I beg to differ.
·      I understand what you are saying but I think it is not practical.
·      That’s quite good but I think otherwise.
·      Are you sure?
·      I could be wrong but . . .
·      I think this would be better if . . .
·      I am not convinced that your suggestion with work.
·      This will give risk to other problems.

No comments: