Wednesday, July 21, 2010

ESL Speaking: Enquiries About Jobs by Ben and Wadi

Another way of motivating students to participate intrinsically in ESL is by asking them to come out with a dialogue in the target language on controlled topics. Students can choose to memorize the dialogue or just by reading it with the right ESL intonation and pronounciation. Here's an example of a dialogue based on my controlled topic which are related to the course that I taught.
 
Ben: Hello, good morning. This is Celestica (AMS) S.d.n B.h.d?
Ady: Hello, good morning. Yes, this is Celestica (AMS) S.d.n B.h.d. Can I help you sir?
Ben: My name is Marzuki Bin Muhammat, I’m calling about your advertisement in jobstreet.com.
Ady: Owh, which job you want apply?
Ben: Actually, I want ask you about qualification do I need to apply job in your company as a technician?
Ady: In technician post, you must have at least certificate in mechanical engineering.What qualification do you have?
Ben: I have a certificate in Mechanical Petroleum from Kuching polytechnic.Am I qualified for the post?
Ady: Yes, I should think so.
Ben:Do you require candidates without work experience?
Ady: Actually, we accept a fresh graduated also. But,i f you have some experience it’s is an advantage for you.
Ben: Could you please tell me some of the responsibilities of a technician?
Ady: Well, the technician is directly responsible to check any machine if have any problem could happen and you must fix it.
Ben: What are the working hours like?
Ady: You must be able to perform permanent 12 hours day or night shift.
Ben: Oh, I see. May I know how much the salary is?
Ady: Well, the starting pay is RM 1800.00, after three months probation it will be increased to RM 2400.00.
Ben: That sounds reasonable. I’d like to make an interview appointment. May I know if it’s possible for you to arrange that?
Ady: Yes, of course. Can I have your full name and contact number please?
Ben: My full name is Marzuki Bin Muhammat. My cell phone number is 010-8888567.
Ady: Do you think you can come tomorrow at ten in the morning for interview?
Ben: Of course I can.
Ady: Please refer to the address in the advertisement when you want to belong to this company.
Ben: Thank you for you information and help.I’ll be there for the interview tomorrow.
Ady: See you then, bye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a very2 thank u to mr azari because u publish my work.

Cekgu Adeng said...

don't thank me, thank yourselves because you guys have a done a great job here.